zaterdag 20 april 2013

Last week, I received a confirmation from XS4all that my DSL line would be activated on Monday. A technician is scheduled to come to our house on Tuesday to connect the Fritz!Box7360 and measure the line. I will not ask the poor guy to set up IPv6, as XS4all has a very easy do-it-yourself interface.

As I was curious about the level of IPv6 knowledge of the helpdesk, I called them and asked if they could disable IPv4 on the line. The helpdesk employee was very surprised and thought I had no idea what I was talking about: "No madam, that is a very bad idea at this point in time. You would not be able to use the internet as you are used to." I laughed and agreed that this indeed sounded crazy, but that we were doing a project with IPv6 only home automation and it was my intention not to use IPv4 on this line. He checked with his colleagues and explained that they use the IPv4 address of the line for administrative purposes, so he could not disable IPv4 for me.
The employee clearly knew what IPv6 was and he was eager to help me. Kudos for the XS4all helpdesk!

One of the first things on my to-do list was investigate if we could use a similar setup with our current thermostat. We use a Heatmiser (PRS-TS wifi). The documentation on their website didn't give any hits when searching on "IPv6", so I contacted their helpdesk with a webform to ask if any of their products support IPv6 at the moment, if it is on their roadmap and which products will support IPv6 (and when!) I will let you know the outcome, but at the moment I'm looking around for other vendors as well.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten